Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Bratislava, Wien, and Salzberg

After leaving pesh, we went on to Wien with a pitstop in bratislava. We spent about an hour walking around the town before getting on another train to Austria. Even though bratislava is more west than budapest, it seems a hundred years behind the times. Once we got to vienna, we explored the naschmarket, went to the Haus der Musik, and met up with Tessa to explore the museum and park district with. Yesterday we took a day trip to Salzberg where every sign post, hotel, and street has something in the name that has to do with Motzart. Unfortunately most of the city was closed because yesterday was a national holiday that from what we could tell by walking around and asking people has something to do with catholicism and wearing lederhosen. Today I went the the Heldenplatz to see the palace and go to the national library where there are archives of  great grandfather Hugo Kauder. Even though I never met him, seeing the pictures, letters, and manuscripts that he wrote and was a part of made me nostalgic and especially sad to have missed the Hugo Kauder competition last week in New Haven. While I waited for some manuscripts to arrive at one of the libraries, I went full out tourist and had an original Sacher Torte at the Sacher Hotel which will probably keep me full for another two days. I am sad to leave wien tonight! there was so much more art and music I wish i could have seen during our short stay here.

off to praha we go!

No comments:

Post a Comment